Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Why is the music industry dead (Thor the Mystery Man)











My Name is Thor : Why is the music industry dead?

Its 8am and still I haven't slept. I remember a few months ago, at around 3AM I was playing at UP Fair my first time, well second this year. The first one was few months and a day ago, Feb 16,2010 where my band got more or less 10 new facebook likes after playing for 100 no 200 people. I'm really happy that those 10 so so people actually searched my band's name on facebook and clicked on the like button. Some even left positive comments which I really appreciate. What made me awake today wasn't about that, i remember hours before my 2nd day at the UP Fair, I got really disappointed. First, all of the main bands played before us and second there were only around 20 people who actually stayed and listened to the less fortunate, unpopular bands like us. And that made me think. Why oh why did the 1000 something people who were jumping around the tune of Parokya ni Edgar, Kamikaze and SPONGE COLA!, left after the said bands played? It's too late? Cmon! Our first day, Franco played at around 3AM, people where still there!

So I asked myself the  question. If I were in their situation what would I do? I'd probably leave as well. Why? You may ask? Because 1. I don't freakin' know who these bands were and 2 I'd probably think, this band isn't sikat for a reason, they probably suck.

Now that I'm the musician playing on stage, I'm confident to say to myself, my band doesn't suck! And so does the other bands in my team. We are just not getting enough exposure to become really popular. Why? because the music scene is dominated by signed bands under a major label that corrupts the system. It's not about money, its about territory, and all the big shot radio stations and tv music channels are marked!

I'm still wondering up to now who among the popular bands started indie, and are still indie, without the help of any major label. If any person here can name one let me know, because the way I see it, if you don't sign, you won't be recognized. I've been a music enthusiast all my life, even before I became a musician myself, I've been listening to local bands across the metro, listening from different genres and I'm telling you, there are a lot of unsigned, or independent bands out there, that should be heard. Magugulat na lang kayo, and you'll tell yourself, "Grabe! Galing ng bandang to!"

If only those 1000 something people stayed until all the bands where finished, I'm 100% sure they'd enjoy the music of other independent, unsigned, unpopular bands. They would've discovered, that beside the music circle, there's another circle of unpopular bands that make good music.

I'm waiting for the next Bamboo to light up the fire in today's music band scene. Don't put out the fire, let's explore and discover new music from new up and coming bands, continue the cycle. When you go to a gig, Stay, Listen, even if you don't know the band. By doing this, you're keeping the music scene alive.

- This is just my 2 cents, I'm tired and cannot type anymore. Hope everyone get my message.
- I'm not saying na the current signed bands aren't good magaling silang lahat!
-I'm not saying na nakakasawa yung paulit ulit na pagtugtog nila ng paulit ulit nilang old hit.

Or maybe I am...

Keep the music alive. My name is Thor and I'm not kidding.

1 comment:

  1. Great>>>>I heard your music at High Scope School Event....Can I get your information?

    ReplyDelete

Indie Band News
If you have news and anything about your band, please post it here. If you want your demos/EP/album reviewed, holler at us! Anything about the underground scene.

Let's support each other and keep the industry alive. :) ask us anything at FormSpring

View Complete Profile