Friday, May 27, 2011

Soil & Green Band Review




















I remember a few years back. My band was invited to play in a place nearby our office. The bar? Dayo. Back then Dayo bar was a haven for bands to play their music. I arrived early as usual and I noticed as time goes by that few people got there in time. There is this one gentleman who I saw eating by the table alone. Instinctively I thought that he was in a band to. I wasn’t wrong. He was part of a band that played that night right after us. The band? Soil & Green. I really liked their songs then. I remember myself unknowingly banging my head to every beat the band made. In short I really enjoyed their music.

Present time. Got to hear them yet again in Genre Bar a couple of weeks ago. Still the brilliance and energy never left the band. I think they played new songs now. The guitars are always in sync and played hand in hand with each other. Drums were relentless. Bass was ear candy for me and played all through my mind like it was lingering back there. Vocals were so much mature now compared to what I remember last time I saw them played. Now the question is does these things also transpired through their self titled album.. boy was I not disappointed.

I listened to 3 songs from their album and found myself head banging to this music that the band created and the majesty of the instruments that played so well together. The guitars on the tracks are not that simple to play yet the band seemed to do this with ease and finesse. I can easily tell their influence on their songs because on some parts you could hear the incubus-filled music. Although the band put their best on making their own style. You could hear that also on several parts of the songs.

Run is a monster song. The intro just sucks you into it and you find yourself waiting for every beat. I like the fact that the band decided to differentiate the verse parts from the chorus parts by not sticking on the main tone of the song. Hence the chorus has a different feel to in compared to the verse. Lyrics as what I have heard was straight forward in this song. Just in your face.

Gullible was just easy listening on the start. But just wait for the chorus and be lead to a mix of ambient guitars. Still I can’t get over the fact that the bass was still lingering on the back of the song just pumping on every beat that the drums make. Drums on the other hand was changing and changing within the song. The cool thing about that is you’ll never get tired of it.

The next song was so hyped up on the start but was lead into a bass heaven of a verse. Guitars are just like the rest of the songs, ambient and mind blowing. Vocals were just like a young Brandon Boyd waiting to rock out the crowd. Although I think vocals are much better live on this song. All in allConundrum I think is the bands heaviest song apart from the two above. I like the part when I can hear screaming in the background. I never expected that.

Soil & Green’s self titled album is a mix of easy listening yet a heavy rock out album. The band was so talented to mix the two together and is heard on every song. Shown in every song are straight forward lyrics muttered through a powerful voice  and drumbeat driven songs coupled with menacing yet subtle guitars plus bass lines that can catch and caress ones ear is without a shawdow of a doubt,Soil & Green



No comments:

Post a Comment

Indie Band News
If you have news and anything about your band, please post it here. If you want your demos/EP/album reviewed, holler at us! Anything about the underground scene.

Let's support each other and keep the industry alive. :) ask us anything at FormSpring

View Complete Profile