Monday, May 30, 2011

Easy as do re mi




It may sound cliché but yes everything can be studied and learned if you have the drive and the conviction to pursue something. I wasn’t born with with a good singing voice but I grew up in a world of music. Having the chance to hear records playing at my dads phonograph every morning was a big part of my childhood. I sang as early as I could remember. I learned music far more easier than reading or writing, but I was nasal. 

My parents noticed that I enjoyed singing a lot and that I a could carry a tune but the problem is i sound nasal at times. I didn’t know how to breathe correctly while singing, so they decided that id take voice lessons and they enrolled me at a program. I enjoyed the lessons I had even at a tender age I understood that the talent that was given to me by God should be treated as a craft and that I should hone it and improve in the best way that I can. 

I joined a lot of singing contests as much as I could before to observe and to put to action the things that Ive learned from my mentors. You see learning is a never ending process and by that I meant all things that there is out there that we can learn and not just subjects at school. 

I discovered at the age of 12 that I can write songs, that inspiration just comes to me like a voice calling in my head. I knew that it was another blessing from God. I had a hard time finishing my songs though because I didn’t know how to play the piano and so I picked up my dad's guitar and tried to learn how to play it.. It was hard at the beginning but I was really determined to learn and now that I know how to play basic guitar chords, it helps me a lot with my songwriting. Ive been honing it since then..hence, I have written for a commercial and films already.


Right now I know how to play the guitar, drums, harmonica and the xylophone. What could be next? Maybe the flute? Maybe you could start trying other instruments too. Whatever floats your boat. Being a beginner maybe hard but I know you can be better or even great! Right?


I get a lot of comments that my voice sounds so small and I accept and regard that fact. One thing that I can share about learning and I may say that it’s the best thing and the most significant that Ive learned so far is that Ive learned to accept who I am..i have learned to embrace my uniqueness. 

So if your at school, at work or any other place and you find that learning is hard. Remember that you have got to have faith in yourself. In the back of your mind, it maybe hard but you can turn things around, believe that you can make it! 

Easy as learning Do re mi…


Check out my band Persephone over the web and catch our shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Indie Band News
If you have news and anything about your band, please post it here. If you want your demos/EP/album reviewed, holler at us! Anything about the underground scene.

Let's support each other and keep the industry alive. :) ask us anything at FormSpring

View Complete Profile