Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Everything


Music is so incredibly diverse, and in my opinion, that's what makes it such a beautiful entity. I treat music as if I were exploring a whole other world--or universe even, and I feel like I'll never quite cover it's entire topography. It's literally infinite.

Having said that, listening to different genres really requires open ears and most of all, an open mind. I have met too many people who are purists to "their" genre and I was once like that too. "Only Rock," I'd tell myself while scoffing at all the Pop listeners out there. But I later grew out of it, needing a break from distorted guitars and whatnot. Breaking out from the "purist" mindset helped myself both as a person and as a musician.

As of now, I'm the worst person to ask about favorite genres or bands. I simply have no answer. My head goes into overload from over-processing all the things I've listened to and I answer with a long "Uuuummmm.." instead. I'm not too good with specifics (haha).

Listening to practically everything opens your mind to, well, everything (forgive the redundancy) and I think this is exactly what listeners and musicians nowadays need. Open-mindedness. Then maybe every damn thing wouldn't sound the same. 

In my opinion, being a listener comes before being a musician. We have to take in what we hear and let it soak in, whether good or bad. And as a musician, you'll learn how to apply it one way or another and be something progressive. Because the music industry needs progress, not things that we've all seen/heard before. Strive to be different.

Even if you aren't a musician, you'll find that broadening your music preferences even just a tiny bit does wonders to your soul, and even your mind. You learn about different people, beliefs, cultures. It's amazing how much you gain and where you could end up. Also, I think it's important that listeners be open-minded (even more so than the musicians) because in the end, you're the people we musicians are clearly trying to impress. And frankly, if you don't like it, then we're out of business.

This whole topic was extremely difficult to write about so I apologize for being so scatterbrained. It's hard to explain, but I'm sure you'll understand what I mean if you try it out. Let me tell you, it's amazing what music you'll find if you just look. There are tons of songs/bands to listen to on YouTube alone, and with the added websites which are purely dedicated to music, you're pretty much all set. Good luck.

By the way, here's a link to a little inspiration. 



If you have time please visit my band Lalangin! Catch us at our shows and enjoy our music live!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Indie Band News
If you have news and anything about your band, please post it here. If you want your demos/EP/album reviewed, holler at us! Anything about the underground scene.

Let's support each other and keep the industry alive. :) ask us anything at FormSpring

View Complete Profile